From Idea to the Table!
Located at 24291 Veteran's Memorial Highway, Hillman, MI 49746
The Food Incubator Center is a professional business center that mentors new food businesses, helps entrepreneurs develop business ideas and provides the site to develop their food products. The facility is USDA inspected with a fully equipped commercial kitchen. Entrepreneurs can develop their food products in accordance with dairy and food laws.
- Learn about starting a new ag-business including product development, business launch, marketing, sales, packaging, and processing.
- Licensed by the Michigan Department of Agriculture.
- Access to utilities - 230 and 460 voltage electricity, city water and sewer.
- Nearby re-sale shop for retail outlet.
- Adjacent to food manufacturer to assist with sourcing, shipping and receiving.
Business Start-Up Assistance
Products can be marketed as client desires. Some additional opportunities are:
1. Creating a regional brand for identification.
2. Working through small distributors
3. Re-sale shop out front or other outlets
4. Label design assistance
5. Sourcing goods (packaging, ingredients, lables)
6. Assistance with business plan
7. Food safety programs
8. Marketing and advertising assistance
- Current use rate is $7.00 per hour and includeds use of equipment, utilities, cleaning supplies and wash facilities.
- Each client must provide their own product liability insurance.
- Each user is required to complete the User Application and meet the requirements laid out in the application.
Small business management, networking, and individual business guidance are offered along with Entrepreneurship, Small Business Management, and Marketing classes with a number of regional partnership organizations.
Tenants receive training and have access to commercial ovens, freezers, ranges, mixers, kettles, industrial food processors, and more.
- Large two-door refrigerator
- Two convection ovens
- Four burner stove with oven
- Two stainless steel tables
- Common kitchen utensils
- Three section wash sink
- Upright two-door freezer
Warehouse & Storage
Refrigerator and dry pallet storage is available for rent at the rate of $10 per month secured dry storage.
Each participant will need to follow Personal Hygiene Policy and Food Security Policy. Also required:
1. USDA Video: "Food Safety is No Mystery"
2. Intake Application, Kitchen Rules, Waiver of Liability, Confidentiality Agreement, Sanitation & Safety Rules, and Storage Agreement.